Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween Ephemeral Thoughts


Last year, in the height of the blackout induced by Typhoon Milenyo, I chanced upon a ghostly white apparition in the mirror. It commanded me to take its picture, which I dutifully did using my trusty Nokia 3200. What a vain ghost, I thought. The figure apparently read my mind, got angry and promptly disappeared.

It's not just the mirror that may appear scary in this unit of ours. The landlady has a fascination with antiques: tribal masks, Catholic ikons, a Hindu and a Buddhist statue. She displays them at the stairs leading to the unit. It's an effective scare tactic against bothersome children (and maybe the adults too, but it's more probable that they'd steal the figures). Inside, dark woodwork significantly subdues illumination (darkness is her preference, I think, because she's a widow). The overall impression created is that of the inside of a decades-old house, even though the entire housing complex is just over ten years old. My sister-in-law actually reports of a presence here.

Okay, it's ten in the evening, I'm all alone in this unit and I'm writing about how scary it is? I better change the topic before the vain ghost appears in the mirror again.

-oOo-

Just recently, I was playing with a ballpen equipped with a laser pointer and an LED flashlight. It dawned upon me that Harry Potter's lighted wand (lumos spell) may be probably implemented in the movies through an LED device (of course, in the movies, the luminosity would be further enhanced). If I could fashion such a toy wand, it just might sell this Halloween or perhaps during another typhoon-induced blackout, hmm.

-oOo-

I notice that I have this certain fascination with the "Shadow" Jungian Archetype. If I would dress up for a Halloween party, I'd be a vampire or Batman or some other similarly mysterious creature of the night. Indeed I am a creature of the night with my penchant of staying up late and waking up at noon.

By the way, speaking of archetypes, these are culture-based constructs used by the psychologist Carl Jung to interpret dreams. Jung believes that the persons, animals, things and other creatures and objects we see in our dreams reflect the current states of various parts of our personality. Thus if ever we see dark and mysterious characters like a vampire, Batman, the devil or even an "evil" version of ourselves we see the Shadow archetype, which embodies our dark or repressed side. Observe how this character appeared and acted in the dream. Was it dominant or weak, jubilant or unhappy? What did it say? More archetypes representing other part of our personality can be found in our dreams. (Google them!) Note how these archetypes interact with each other in the dream.

Ah, dream interpretation can be fun. I miss my Psychology class. I remember how the teacher could check our 100-item exam papers immediately after submitting, without even consulting an answer key. Applying my psychology knowledge, I figured he was using a mnemonic device. Sure enough, though vaguely, I saw patterns in the answers. In fairness, I needed to answer correctly a significant number of items, enough to get a decent grade, before I could see the patterns and ace the test. The teacher now uses an answer key, just in case another student like me pops up in his class.

-oOo-

Ever stumbled upon the blog of a dead person? I know of one: Julia in the Philippines. Remember her? Her death was actually in the news a few months ago. Note the title of her last entry. Leave her a comment (log-in required). Maybe she might reply from the great beyond.

Makes me think of what would happen to our blogs in the event of our death. Would we also receive loving parting comments? If there's a saying that one must live each day like it's one's final day on earth, then blogging each entry like it's the last you'll ever make just might clear up the trash in the blogging world.

Labels:

6 honked their horn

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've had a thought about my blog in the event i die. I almost died a few moons ago in palawan, btw, so the thought is kinda real

Tuesday, 30 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

taba mo na dave. haha.

Thursday, 01 November, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno if this is me, but do I need to die for my comments to reach a skyrocketing 500?

Lol.

I even planned to entrust my password to someone nga eh, just in case everything's off-guarded or anything. :P

Milenyo? I'm doing an Electronics assignment back then, 4th Year pa ko. HAHA.

Hmm, wonder what's that green-minded thing you almost commented in one of my posts. Sabihin naaa!!

Tuesday, 06 November, 2007  
Blogger -= dave =- said...

tito b: i've read that one. sure was a close call.

kate: ha ha :p

kevin: if it's you, all you need to do is write an entry that will whip your 100 or so followers into a frenzy, and they will pass the word to five or more of their friends and then you will have your 500+ comments from unique individuals. it would even reach 1000+ if they decided to debate.

that green-minded thing was in the heat of the moment. perhaps if i can recall then i just might inflict my perversity on your blog.

maybe that will give you 500+ comments. hahaha!!!

Wednesday, 07 November, 2007  
Blogger Sidney said...

I like that picture of your ghost... always wanted to capture one...
I think I would feel at home in the house of your landlord.

In the event I die I hope my son (who is tech savvy enough)will do the last post on my behalf. I wouldn't like to go away without saying goodbye to my regular visitors.

Monday, 26 November, 2007  
Blogger -= dave =- said...

sidney, the ghost appreciates your liking of his pic. (how vain of him!) perhaps if you frequent more some haunted places, you may have your own ghost photo.

Wednesday, 12 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home